Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Mathematics with Technology

In Judy Chandler's Mathematics with Technology podcast she explains that technology is essential to education and specifically math education. She elaborates by what tools technology can add to the learning of math. Ms. Chandler states that technology engages students in a "multi sensory, authentic, and collaborative...learning environment". She has found that technology helps students to make connections with past lessons and future education.
Ms. Chandler also made a podcast on Thinking Mathematically. In this podcast she talks about how many student become disengaged from the content of the class while others do not. She believes that teachers need to engage thinking by asking questions. She believes that by asking big questions and engaging the students you can help to direct them in the proper discussion. She tells us to challenge students to think so that they can remember and learn how to learn.
These podcasts can be useful to myself as a teacher but not in the specific way that hers was. I will be teaching English not Math. However, I know that technology and questions can be useful to my subject material as well. As a teacher I can use technology to help students to interact with the literature and history. I also know that I can ask well placed and well thought out questions to help my students to learn the subject matter and really think about it also.

No comments:

Post a Comment