Tuesday, April 28, 2009

My visit to the Foley ACCESS Lab

Me standing behind a large podium with a Smart Board projector on itFor the ACCESS Lab assignment I went to Foley High School with my classmate Samantha Mason. Foley's ACCESS Lab wasn't functioning yet but it was all set up to be fully functional in Fall. The Lab was well endowed! It had two large flat screen televisions (one in the back and one in the front of the room), a smart board with a projector (that is the equipment that is in the picture with me), and is capable of holding a class of at most 32 students.
A picture of the poster described

The ACCESS Lab at Foley High School is also being used to lower the drop out rate of its students. They have hung a poster in the room to advertise their campaign against the drop out rate. The ACCESS Lab at Foley believes that by keeping students in contact with leaders they will help the students to feel less overwhelmed and therefore keep the students in the school! I believe that this is a great idea because most students have been raised in a technology rich environment and technology helps to keep them better engaged in school.
A photo of the front of the ACCESS LabAlabama Connecting Classrooms, Educators, and Students Statewide (ACCESS) is a computer based program that allows students to take courses that are not available at their schools. ACCESS is a distance learning program that gives students a wider choice of classes. I believe that ACCESS Labs are an amazing program. I only wish that they had this when I was in school! I had a wonderful time exploring the ACCESS Lab with Sam Mason and I look forward to working with the ACCESS Lab program throughout my career!

No comments:

Post a Comment