Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Stanford Challenge: Improving K-12 Education: "Growth" vs. "Fixed" Mindset

The "Growth" vs. "Fixed" Mindset video on ITunesU was very interesting. I didn't realize that people hold themselves back in their learning. It makes perfect sense that your mind can grow just like any of your other muscles. That you just have to use it to make it stronger and yourself smarter. I also think that teaching the "Growth" mindset is an interesting concept. I would never think that teaching a mindset could make a difference in how people learned.
I believe I can be accused of having both mindsets. When it comes to math I am definitely a "Fixed" mindset. I think I am this way because I have never been good at math. On other subjects I would say I'm a "Growth" mindset because I know that I can learn from those. I can definitely see myself helping my students by teaching the "Growth" mindset. It would be a very helpful tool to my students if I could help them in something that they don't think that they can learn. I would be able to show them that they could learn what they thought was impossible for them to learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment